Saturday, April 25, 2009

Still flying after all these years

Ever wonder what happen to world class gymnasts once they were done with their Olympics career?

Here is the great Sergei Kharikov (now Sergej Charkov), the 1988 Summer Olympic's gold medalist on Floor Exercise and Men's team championship (I think he also medaled in the Vault). I remember him even though I was still a grade school kid watching that Olympic. He was so rhythmic and smooth on the FX he would make most of today's girl gymnasts look like a bunch of disgraceful bumbling jumping beans (if you don't believe me, check this clip out)!

Now... he's a marvelously entertaining Vogelscheuche - Scarecrow - with an attitude. That's just the thing I miss about Gymnastics and Figure Skating since the last athletes that were trained during the USSR era had retired. They were so well trained and secure in their technique that they could go beyond just being technical in performance. They turned the whole thing into something of an art form.

2 comments:

Georg said...

Hallo Smorg,

Very good. The music reminds me of all those Benny Hill shows I liked so much.

Georg

Smorg said...

Hallo Georg,
Benny Hill shows! Now I'm getting nostalgic, friend. :o)

Amazing how some shows are really timeless, ay? I didn't discover the Charlie Chaplin films until I was 20 and couldn't believe how much I like them, too.

Thanks for stopping by!
Smorgy