Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Glimpse of Kasarova and Mijanovic in Agrippina

A potentially time-limited treat for fans of mezzo-sopranos Vesselina Kasarova and Marijana Mijanovic. This video clip of snippets from the Zurich Opera's 2009 production (David Pountney production) of Handel's Agrippina with interviews with a few principal singers is available at the Opernhaus's OpernTV page.

I suspect that it won't stay on the OpernTV page for more than a few months (will likely get knocked off once the clips from this season are put up), though.

Edited 1 April 2010: Cheers to Opernhaus Zurich! They had gone and post this clip on their Youtube channel, so here it is!


Click here to visit the Zurich Opera's Youtube Channel.

4 comments:

Purity McCall said...

ah happy memories.... sigh

Kim said...

Ahhhh, thank you so much! I love Kasarova. I can't wait to watch this. But why do they always have her in the weirdest outfits?!? *sigh* I just feel that her beauty is not used to its greatest advantage most of the time.

Thanks for commenting/reading over at my blog. As of right now, the McCarthy Philharmonic only plays for Mitch's composition recitals, but who knows?

Smorg said...

Hiya PM: Ranks up there with Rick's We'll always have Paris, matie? ;o)

Hiya Kim: You're welcome! :oD I'm delighted that you enjoy her. It seems she is quite a taste hard to acquire for many English speaking opera fans, but I love the lass precisely for what they dislike her for... her having the courage to actually characterize her singing voice with its many colors. I love her 'mannerism', to use the lingo.

Anyhow, yep, it's a wonder of the world how the dressing department at Opernhaus Zurich tend to outfit her like a drag queen or something even weirder looking whenever she has to sing a female role there. The first time I laid eye on her was when I saw the clip of her as Rosina there and I thought her first a drag queen then second rather unfortunate looking... And then I saw offstage fotos of her and couldn't believe it was the same person (about the same story with that singing voice compared to how she actually talks, I'm afraid).

Hope your weekend has started on a good note. Thanks for stopping by! :oD

Georg said...

Hi Smorgy,

Had a look at the Zürich performance. Not only is the musical performance impeccable, I learned something, too, about Roman history: these people were sporting large alu-plastic belts. Good old Agrippina: David Poutney explains it all in detail.

Georg