Saturday, November 19, 2011

Where in the world is Vesselina Kasarova?

It's been a while since I last posted about my favorite operatic muse. Vesselina Kasarova is keeping busy as a bee. She is currently in Vienna, rocking the Staatsoper as Isabella in the Ponnelle staging of Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri (The Italian Girl in Algeria). The lass is indeed shifting the center of her repertoire toward the more dramatic, but she apparently hasn't lost any of her magical bel canto touch and vocal suppleness. Next up from this current run of L'Italiana is two performances of Donizetti's Maria Stuarda at the Philharmonie am Gasteig in Munich, Germany. 

Vesselina Kasarova as Isabella in Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri at Wiener Staatsoper. November 2011. (Photo: Michael Pöhn)
Her amazing Russian fan, Denis, also informed me that Russia's TV Kultura is set on broadcasting Kasarova's recent concert at Moscow's Tchaikovsky Concert Hall on their channel on November 23rd. I'm green with envy and hope my Russian friends get to enjoy the treat! 


For those of us who don't live close enough to her frequent performance venues, there is consolation in that Baerenreiter is about to publish her first book (co-written with music critic Dr. Marianne Zelger-Vogt), Ich singe mit Leib und Seele (I Sing with Heart and Soul). It'll hit book shops in March 2012 in Germany and in German language, of course, though perhaps with English version coming out a few years after... Or you could just try to learn the language. It's quite worth it! 

Happy belated Birthday to Yves-Lucien, too, while I'm at this! :x lovestruck 

9 comments:

yvette said...

No luck for her French admirers this season... France is not on her route, not like Autumn 2010... Thank you for keeping us informed Smorgy! Hope life and moving are OK!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Isabella was a pants role !!

Smorg said...

Bonjour Yvette & Howdy Eyes: I hear you, mon amie. Maybe some concert dates will pop up once we get closer to Christmas, ay? I'd be surprise if she doesn't go to France at all next year. :o)

Of course Isabella is a pants role, Eyes! :oD With VK any role can be a pants role (and not only that, a WS pants role!)! ;oD

My first move was yesterday. Somehow we managed it before the rain started. Having a very wet late autumn so far.

Hope your week has started well!!! :oD

Anonymous said...

Eyes, you mean you didn't know?? what about this!!

Smorgy, so between 1st and 2nd move, you'll jettison 1 suitcase? :-)

Smorg said...

Hiya An: Oh, good pic from the Zurich production! I had almost forgotten about that one. :oD

Yup, I'm ditching one of the suitcases (hopefully) soon. That way I can check the remaining suitcase (which, hopefully will have room in there to fit the smaller backpack in), and take the computer backpack as carry-on... and travel really light. ;oD Hopefully I'll manage to keep my belongings' size relatively stable once I'm settled again. It's a good thing about buying mostly thrift store stuff... When I move I can ditch most of them easily. ;o)

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't know about THIS! That's an eye-opener. Can you give me a reference for it please? ( or send? )

Hope things continue to go smoothly, Smorgy.

Anonymous said...

ah, Eyes, you can get started here . The suit in blue is also very nice :-)

ah Smorgy, when will you be on this side of the continent? a friend of mine once wore 7 layers of clothes so that his 2 suitcases could get below the weight limits for airlines. i saw him sweating *a bit*...

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dr. T :)

Drew80 said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Smorg!

I hope your holidays are wonderful ones.