Friday, April 27, 2012

Pour Yvette: Morena Blvd

I was up in La Jolla again a week or so ago and decided to ride back to town on Morena Blvd from its northern terminus to the southern, with my camera in hand on the video mode:

As you can see, it's a rather uneventful straight road. I bicycle on the lower portion of it (between Balboa/Garnet and Taylor St) quite often, either to access the Ocean Beach Bike Path from Old Town to the ocean or to get back to town from La Jolla after a much more interesting ride down Rose Canyon Bike Path (but don't want to navigate through the always busy bike/pedestrian path along Mission Bay). Riding south on Morena is mostly downhill all the way, with some really nice view of Mission Bay across the railroad and I-5 to the right (west) side of the road. On the left is the hills dotted with some houses and mostly business buildings.


I'm afraid the video resolution is rather low and nothing spectacular happened (whew!). I should note, though, that though just about all the maps I've looked at both online and on paper shows that Morena Blvd can be accessed from Clairemont Mesa Blvd via Jutland Dr, Jutland itself does not directly intersect Clairemont Mesa Blvd... but via Luna Avenue. I would tape the southern end of Morena as it goes across the river and into Old Town, but I haven't got a hand-free camera and that section isn't safe to navigate while distracted and one-handed (there are freeway ramps to merge with there). Maybe I'll get a helmet cam one of these days and correct that omission. 

Once you get past the Clairemont Dr overpass the bike lane is in great shape. Between that and Garnet/Balboa Ave, though, it is atrocious with lots of debris and icky surface bumps (especially next to trees... the roots are busting up the pavement from below, I think).

2 comments:

yvette said...

What a treat!!! Thanks a lot for the complete 'Balade'! You are brave on your bike. It is a nice way along Mission Bay park and I am almost there by now!!! What a coïncidence... hope you are fine and this is brilliant. (funny as well!) I will not write on FB as it is not easy for me lately . I have almost left it.(too complicated at times). I am back. It was a marvellous adventure.Thanks dearest Smorgy! Take care on video expeditions though, it is more complicated for you but here it is simply smashing!

Smorg said...

Bonjour Yvette: Avec plaisir, mon amie! :oD I love biking around town and it only gets better when I get to share a bit of it with good friends. Hope you are enjoying being home after all the traveling, too! :oD